ANTISOCIAL PERSONALITY DISORDER – “A pattern of disregard for, and violation of the rights of others.”
DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA: (At least 18 years of age) With a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others…including 3 or more of the following things:
- Failure to conform and respect lawful behavior (repeated arrests
- Deceitfulness, lying, and conning others for personal behefit
- Impulsive and unable to plan ahead
- Irritable and aggressive
- Reckless disregard for the safety of others.
- Consistently irresponsible.
- Lack of remorse and empathy.
- Since deceit a central feature, should confirm diagnosis with collateral sources of information.
- Repeatedly perform acts that are grounds for arrest….
- Have disregard for the rights, wishes, feelings of others and lie in order to get whatever they want….
- Engage in sexual behavior and substance use that is high risk…
- Abandon employment despite having another job and very financially irresponsible…
- Tend to blame victims, minimize their harm, or not give a damn
- Cynical and contemptuous of the feelings, rights and sufferings of others…
- Inflated and arrogant self-appraisal…
- Lack of realistic concern about their current problems or the future….
- Lack empathy / superficial charm
- Experience dysphoria, complain of tension, inability to tolerate boredom and depressed mood…
- Child abuse, neglect, unstable and erratic parenting, inconsistent discipline are related to this disorder.